What is AYAHAUSCA?
Ayahuasca (pronounced ‘eye-ah-WAH-ska’) is a plant-based psychedelic. Psychedelics affect all the senses, altering a person’s thinking, sense of time and emotions. They can cause a person to hallucinate—seeing or hearing things that do not exist or are distorted.
Ayahuasca is a decoction (concentrated liquid) made by prolonged heating or boiling of the Banisteriopsis caapi vine with the leaves of the Psychotria viridis shrub, although there can be a variety of other plants included in the decoction for different traditional purposes.1 The active chemical in ayahuasca is DMT (dimethyltryptamine).1 It also contains monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs).2
Ayahuasca has been used for centuries by First Nations peoples from contemporary Peru, Brazil, Colombia and Ecuador for religious ritual and therapeutic purposes.1
What does it look like?
Ayahuasca is a brown-reddish drink with a strong taste and smell.3
Huasca, yagé, Kamarampi, Huni, brew, daime, the tea, la purga
How is it used?
Ayahuasca is drunk as a liquid.
Effects of ayahuasca
There is no safe level of drug use. Use of any drug always carries some risk. It’s important to be careful when taking any type of drug.
Ayahuasca affects everyone differently, based on:
- size, weight and health
- whether the person is used to taking it
- whether other drugs are taken around the same time
- the amount taken
- the strength of the decoction (varies from batch to batch)
- environment (where the drug is taken).
The effects of ayahuasca can last between 4- to 6-hours and may include:
- nausea and vomiting (induced by drinking the decoction)*
- feelings of connection and unity
- intense visual and auditory hallucinations
- experiencing powerful emotions
- panic and fear
- moderate increase in blood pressure and heart rate
- increased body temperature.1, 3
*When ayahuasca is taken in a traditional or ritual setting, these effects may be perceived as cleansing or purging and a part of the spiritual or healing journey.1
Set and Setting
Ayahuasca can have varied effects depending on a person’s mood (often called the ‘set’) or the environment they are in (the ‘setting’):
- Set: a person’s state of mind, previous encounters with psychoactive drugs, and expectations of what’s going to happen.4 For example, feelings of anxiety or fear before using ayahuasca can be magnified and result in an unpleasant experience.
- Setting: the environment in which someone consumes ayahuasca – whether it’s known and familiar, who they’re with, if they’re indoors or outdoors, the type of music and light.4 For example, using ayahuasca in a calm, quiet and relaxed environment can lead to a please experience, but being in a noisy, crowded place may result in a negative experience.
Some people may have negative experiences taking psychedelics, or experiences they find challenging.** This can include experiencing:
- frightening or confronting hallucinations
- intense anxiety and confusion
- fear and paranoia1
**These experiences may be understood or interpreted differently in a traditional or ritual context, where they may be seen as lessons and part of a spiritual or healing journey rather than wholly negative.
Ayahuasca does not appear to have a negative impact on the body.1 Existing research indicates that long-term use of ayahuasca is not associated with a loss of cognitive functioning or negative mental health outcomes.3, 5, 6
Tolerance and dependence
Repeated use of ayahuasca does not appear to result in tolerance to the effects, and it appears to pose an extremely limited risk for dependence.7
Mixing ayahuasca with other drugs
The effects of taking ayahuasca with other drugs − including over-the-counter or prescribed medications − can be unpredictable and dangerous.
Ayahuasca + MDMA or anti-depressants: because of the presence of MAOIs, mixing ayahuasca with other drugs that affect serotonin such as MDMA or anti-depressants such as selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), may be particularly dangerous.2
Use of more than one drug or type of drug consumed at the same time is called polydrug use.
ayahuasca couples retreat,ayahuasca new jersey,ayahuasca ohio,ayahuasca oregon 2023,ayahuasca plant buy,ayahuasca retreat lexington ky,ayahuasca amazon retreat